Blenders make your work in the kitchen much easier by allowing you to turn your fruits and vegetables into a fine paste. Depending on the speed and settings, you can also use it as a mincer, shredder, and juicer.
A blender’s unique build gives it a somewhat difficult to clean design. There are some hard to reach areas and the blades make it even more difficult to thoroughly clean.
In this guide, you will learn how to properly clean your blender. Cleaning your blender in parts is the best way to remove stubborn stains and lingering particles.
Why Your Blender Smells Bad
There are various reasons why your blender could smell bad. It is important to get rid of any unwanted smells from your blender or you risk tainting the quality of your food. In this section, we have curated some reasons why your blender may smell bad and what you can do to prevent or stop the smell.
- If the carafe of your blender is smelling, it could be because it was not properly washed the last time it was used, and the good particles stuck in it have become rotten. This can easily be remedied and returned back to normal. Cut some slices of lemon and put them inside the carafe. Fill the jar up halfway with clean water and blend for about 2 minutes. The lemon slices will rid your carafe of the smell. Once done, place a few drops of dishwashing liquid into a half-full carafe of water and blend. Pour out the soapy water and rinse appropriately. The smell should be gone once this is done.
- If you are using a pulsed blender, leaving the machine blending for long periods can lead to electrical burns within the base. Pulsed blenders shouldn’t be used for more than 20-30 seconds at a stretch. The unique build and electrical make up don’t allow for you to use the blender for long stretches. To remove electrical smells, you will need to use the blender in the appropriate manner. You may also need to have a licensed technician check the wiring to see if there’s any component that needs replacing.
How To Clean The Carafe
The carafe is the part of the blender that holds content for blending. It also contains the blades which makes it arguably the most difficult part of the blender to clean. There are various methods to clean the carafe which include:
- Using a sponge (Preferably rough), scrub the insides of the carafe. You could also use a toothbrush or a metal sponge depending on the toughness of the dirt in the carafe. This method is useful if you have used the blender for ingredients that get stuck in the blades or stain the walls of the carafe.
- Lemons are excellent for removing stains from your blender. To use this method, fill your blender to half capacity and add a few drops of soap. Next, slice a lemon and place two decent slices into the mixture. Blend for a couple of minutes on your desired blade speed and empty the contents out and rinse till all the soapy mixture is out of the blender. This will leave your blender spotless and ready for subsequent use.
- Boil some water in a kettle and pour it into your blender halfway through. Add a few droplets of soap to the water and blend the mixture on low blade speed settings. Once you’re satisfied, pour out the mixture and rinse appropriately. Ensure the lid on the blender is secure while you carry out this activity to prevent spillage.
- If the stains are extra tough, you can soak your blender through the night in dishwasher soap, baking soda, and vinegar solution. Add a few drops of dish soap, ½ cup of baking soda, and ¼ cup of vinegar to a half-full carafe of water. Blend the solution and allow it to bubble to the surface. Leave the blender overnight and wash it in the morning.
How To Clean The Blades
The blades are an important part of the blender and they do most of the dirty work. This makes them one of the trickiest parts to clean because they are sharp and could cut you. Here are some ways you can clean the blades of your blender:
- If you have tough stains on your blender blades, you may need to separate them for easier access and better cleaning. Unscrew the base from the carafe to expose the blade. Use a sponge soaked in water and dishwashing soap solution to clean each blade carefully. Avoid cleaning the blades recklessly to prevent any cuts on your hand. Use kitchen gloves if available to protect your hands while you clean the blades.
- Polident is an anti-bacterial and tooth whitening agent but it is also great for removing stains from your blender blades. They are good for removing tough stains and will help you get stains out with the minimal effort. Submerge the blades in the water and add two tablets of Polident into the mix. Leave the blades to soak for about 30 minutes and then remove, wash, and rinse. This should get any stubborn stains out.
Use cooking oils such as vegetable or cooking oils to lubricate the gasket. The gasket is the piece of rubber that separates the carafe from the base of the blender.
Regular lubrication of the gasket will prolong the life of your blender and allow you to get more value from the appliance.
How To Clean The Base
Last but not least – the base. The base of the blender is just as important as the carafe and the blades as it contains the switches for regulating power and is also the engine of the blender.
Although it is not directly involved in the blending activities it can get dusty or stained with the ingredients you blended. Here are some steps to easily clean the base of your blender:
- Use a damp towel dipped in warm soapy water to clean the nooks and crannies. It is important to note that you mustn’t wash or submerge the base of your blender in water. This could severely damage your blender temporarily or permanently. Run the damp cloth on areas where ingredients have spilled and clean as needed. For hard to reach areas such as between buttons, use cotton buds. Do not clean the base when it is connected to a power source as it could lead to electric shock.
- If you do not want to use a damp rag to clean the base of your blender, you could use an alcohol solution to get the same effect. It is a great alternative because it dries quickly and excess alcohol can easily be wiped away with a piece of dry cloth. It is also good for removing dried stains and we recommend that you use alcohol solution when dealing with dried stains on your blender base.
- Cleaning the base should never be neglected and although it doesn’t hold any liquid, accumulated dust particles can make operation difficult and damage operational buttons. Cleaning the base as often as once every two weeks is decent and will prevent any buildup. Alternatively, you can clean the base on a per-use basis. If you use your blender frequently, it is important that you clean it frequently.
Ensure you clean the base of your blender before the ingredients spilled on it dry up. This makes it easier for you to clean as dried stains are difficult to remove and they will also require more water to clean. Although you can get the stains out with an alcohol solution, it is best you do not allow the stains to gather in the first place.
Related Post: How To Clean An Immersion Blender
For A Quick Clean
You do not need to take your blender apart each time you want to clean it. If you want to use your blender as quickly as possible, this quick method will help you clean your carafe and get to work.
You will need warm water and dish soap to clean the blender. Pour the warm water into the blender jug and add some drops of dish soap.
Use a sponge to scrub the inside of the carafe till you are satisfied that the dirt is gone. Pour out the soapy water and rinse appropriately. Your blender is ready for use.
Related Post: How To Clean A Nutribullet
These are some of the ways you can clean each part of your blender. A blender is an important tool in the kitchen as it helps in the preparation of various meals. Proper cleaning ensures that your blender lasts long and serves you better.
These methods are used to get tough stains off your blender and keep your appliance in tip-top shape. Maintaining your appliances will take some dedication and consistency but with the right methods, you will find it easier.
We hope these methods are easy for you to follow and they give you the desired results.