We all know that eating healthy is important, but sometimes it can be hard to come up with ideas for meals that are both nutritious and delicious. That’s where blending your food comes in! Blenders are a great way to condense some of your favorite fruits and vegetables into a tasty, portable, and nutritious meal. In this article, we’ll take a look at nine surprising, delicious, and nutritious foods that you can blend for a healthy meal or snack.
The Benefits of Blending
Blending your food has a number of benefits. It can help you to get more nutrients from your food, as blending breaks down the cell walls of fruits and vegetables, making it easier for your body to absorb the nutrients.
Blending may also help you to reduce the amount of toxins in your body, as it helps to remove the indigestible parts from foods like seeds, stems, and skins. And finally, blending your food can help to reduce inflammation in the body, as it can improve your digestive function and boost immunity.
Nine Healthy Blendables
- Hemp – Hemp is a superfood that is high in protein, fiber, and essential fatty acids. It is also a good source of vitamins and minerals, including magnesium, potassium, and iron. When blended, hemp may help to improve digestion and reduce inflammation. Hemp adds both an earthy flavor and a light texture to smoothies, and it can also be added to soups for an extra boost of plant-based protein.
Hemp contains a variety of terpenes (aka “terps”) including the terpene beta-caryophyllene, which may have anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. Weed terps can be added to smoothies for an extra taste kick without the worry of getting high.
- Chia seeds – Chia seeds are a good source of fiber, protein, and omega-3 fatty acids. They are also high in antioxidants and have been shown to improve heart health and reduce inflammation. When blended, chia seeds can help to thicken smoothies and make them more filling. They also look great in a drink.
- Cacao – Cacao is a superfood that is rich in antioxidants, magnesium, and iron. It has been shown to potentially improve heart health, reduce inflammation, and boost mood and cognitive function. When blended, cacao can be used to make healthy chocolate smoothies or added to other recipes for a nutritious boost.
- Maca – Maca is a superfood that is rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. This makes it good for your energy levels, mood, and potentially even libido. When blended, maca powder can be added to smoothies or used in baking for a nutrient-dense treat. Maca taste is compared to butterscotch and can be a nice addition to sweet blends.
- Acai – Acai is a superfood that is rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. It has been shown to improve heart health, weight loss, and cognitive function. When blended, acai can be used to make healthy smoothies or added to other recipes for a nutritious boost. Acai berries taste like a mixture of dark berries and chocolate, so they make for a delicious addition to a smoothie.
- Turmeric – Turmeric is a superfood that is rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. It has been shown to improve joint health, cognitive function, and digestion. When blended, turmeric can be added to smoothies or used in cooking for a nutrient-dense meal. Turmeric contains the terpenes turmerone and zingiberene, which give it a woody and earthy aroma and taste. It also adds a beautiful ochre coloring to drinks and dishes.
- Ginger – Ginger is a superfood that is rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. Used for millennia in traditional Chinese and Indian cuisine and medicine, ginger is effective in treating nausea, pain, and inflammation. When blended, ginger can be added to smoothies or used in cooking for a nutrient-dense meal. Ginger’s sharp flavor can add zing and energy to blends of all sorts.
- Kale – Kale is one of the most nutrient-rich foods on the planet and is high in calcium, iron, vitamins A and C, and antioxidants. When blended, kale can be added to smoothies or used in baking for a nutrient boost. Kale smoothies pair well with fruit, nut butters, and other superfoods.
- Avocado – Avocado is a nutrient-rich food that is high in healthy fats and fiber. It has been shown to improve cardiovascular health and reduce inflammation. When blended with other ingredients, like fruit or greens, avocado can be used to make creamy smoothies or added to recipes for a healthy fat boost.
Mix it Up!
Blending your ingredients can be a great way to create healthy and delicious smoothies that are packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Blending also gives you an easy way to try out foods you might not typically eat much of.
Experiment with some of these superfoods and see what you can come up with! You might be surprised at how delicious and nutritious your smoothies can be.